Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pili-Pili: Lost in Translation

Good bye campground!  Breakfast at Olasiti Lodge after a mosquito-free and ant-free night!  Chef will cook your omelet to order, mmm-mmm.  After noticing there were no salt or pepper shakers on the table, I decided to show off by asking in Swahili, "Pili-pili nyeusi." Then what to my wondering eyes should appear but a little dish of red and yellow fiery hot peppers!  Back to English.  I should have used Paulette's method of Swahenglish with hand gestures.  The staff of course is perfectly conversant in English, and they humor us by providing free Swahili lessons followed by frequent pop quizzes... Hakuna matata!

1 comment:

  1. At least you did not order a baboon in your omelet as I did! Seems to me you did call a woman pregnant instead of inquiring about oranges as you had intended! Swahinglish, indeed!

    ReplyDelete